Pages

Wednesday 15 August 2012

MY TRIP TO INDIA

Good Morning to you,

During March and April  George and I visited India for six whole weeks.....yes six whole weeks! How lucky were we.

Whilst there,  my daughter Natasha showed me a quilt which was made up of scraps of sari material, border ribbon, well, really odds and ends of fabric taken from the cutting room floor. Plus for added interest  beads, sequins,  mirror embroidery and a variety of embroidery threads and stitches. 



.....and this is the result......the most exquisite quilt I have ever seen. This quilt appeals to my love of colour.



These sumptuous pieces of fabric are stitched together in the normal way, but the seams are  hidden by using what we know as whipped stem stitch.



If you look to the bottom left of the picture you will see border ribbon which is used around the neckline of tunics.  This has been a left over piece and cleverly incorporated into the quilt.





I think it would be fair to say this is a crazy patchwork quilt as it uses irregular shapes and scraps of beautiful fabric.






The elephant's trunk has been created by using blue and gold border ribbon.


There is so much embellishment  that it must have taken hours and hours and I must say sari material would not be the easiest material to work with.


The blue used to depict the elephant is the most beautiful blue.  I'm afraid the photographs really don't do it justice.



Can you see the mirror work, this would take so long to attach, I really admire the person who created this beautiful quilt.




More embroidery work, there are so many different embroidery stitches used to make this quilt.  It was made by a very skilled craftswoman.





.....and to remind you what all the bits and pieces sewn together actually make.....this very beautiful and exquisite quilt.

I hope you enjoyed this beautiful quilt and I'm sure you admire it as much as I do.

 When we left India I had to leave behind a "mountainous" amount of sari scraps as I could not fit them into my suitcase (sigh), but Natasha has promised that she will keep them until my next visit......then I will be able to make my own crazy "sari" patchwork quilt!

Until next time, take care,

Best Wishes,



Daphne xxx



8 comments:

  1. The colours and design of this quilt are stunning. Visiting India must have been fascinating. There was a time when I came close to making a trip. A friend's father was with External Affairs and based in New Delhi. I was to meet my friend there and then we were to do some traveling. The Air India disaster occurred a week before my flight; one thing led to another and I didn't go. Perhaps I will, one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, What a shame you were unable to visit India, I do hope you get the opportunity again. Later in the year I will be showing more of our visit to India, which I think you will find interesting. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Six weeks in India..how exciting and how beautiful are the fabrics you found. I started answering your comment on my blog, but couldn't find your email address from your comment, so I'll answer you here. Sorry..:)
    It's funny, but I usually don't find much on Senior Day...you have to get there when the doors open. LOL...Usually, the best things I find on SD are books.
    Thanks for stopping by. Hope you're having a great week,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Babs, I'm sorry you had problems with my email address, I wonder what I did wrong. I think Senior Day is a wonderful idea. I love finding old items which others have used before and incorporating them into my home, they have a history which I can only guess at. I have decided to take Phyllis out and about this week to find some bargains. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you that's very kind of you to say so. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  4. stunning quilt! My daughter-in-law is planning to make me a quilt from my deceased husband's shirts. I hope that she starts it when the weather gets cooler.
    What a lovely trip you and George must have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon to you, yes, we had a wonderful time in India and met some wonderful people. The Indian quilt is such a stunning quilt with so much intricate work. What a wonderful idea to make a quilt from your husband's shirts, what a lovely gift that will be for you. It will be so precious and hold so many memories. I look forward to seeing it when it is completed. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...