Pages

Sunday 27 January 2013

A BOOK WITH TWO TITLES

Good Morning to you,

Do you remember a couple of weeks ago, I told you about my trip to Heaton with Gloria.   I mentioned I had found a few treasurers.....well I have one for you today.

This book has two titles, 

Mattie and Bessie
or
Climbing the Hill


I could not see an explanation as to why a book would have two titles, but as you can plainly see from this photograph, Mattie and Bessie is in larger print and Climbing the Hill is in smaller print.


This book was presented
to,
"Ada Laidler
for reciting at the Winlaton
Wesleyan Sunday School Anniversary
June 3rd 1888"



There are four prints in the book
The first caption reads,
"Her bonnet was roughly torn from her head,
and Tom Raynor stood holding
it by the string."


Here are a couple of sentences to enjoy.

"Here we are, Mr Wilson!"
"Sit down, dears," said the old man;
"take off yer bonnets, and we'll have
some tea."


and,

"Now that's just about the wonderful'st
thing I ever hear tell on,
to keep prayin',  prayin' and 
never stoppin', till yer wakes up one
mornin' and finds just what yer bin' prayin'
for under yer very own winder - and socks too."


just a little more for you,

"She was seated upon the ground,
with his aching head in her lap, while
little Bessie bent over him, stroking
him with her thin little hand, and
murmuring now and then,
poor Tom! poor Tom!"


I have shown you the Contents page
because at the start of each
chapter there are beautiful
illustrations like the one
below.


and again for Chapter 1.


At the end of each chapter
I found these lovely
little designs,
they look like a beautiful 
full stop!


I couldn't resist showing you the
list of books which could
be bought for the price of one penny
or for the price of half a penny.


This is a lovely little book....yes well worn, but that means it has been well used. I wonder how Ada felt about receiving this book, in a time when the majority of people did not own books. 

Do you remember, when I told you that Ivy, as a child had to make a choice, she could have bread and butter or bread and jam, but not both. See here  Comparing the cost of bread and butter in the 1888's to the cost of a book, I would imagine Ada's family were relatively well off as to own a book in 1888 must have been quite a treasure.

I also wonder how many hands this book passed through before it came into mine....there must have been many.

All I can say is I am grateful this little book came into my possession with all of it's hidden history. 

Take care and I will see you later in the week.

Before I go, this week I will be joining,

and
Karen at Sew Many Ways








19 comments:

  1. Another beautiful treasure !
    The illustrations are so very interesting, a work of art.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find you have there Daphne! Oh so very special and lovely. Stories of old are always written so elegantly, are they not? Enjoy your new find! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Daphne,
    I have always loved vintage books but when you find one that has a handwritten note or message on a page ---- it seems like the words come alive. How special. A treasure indeed.
    Missy M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Daphne,
    I have always loved vintage books --- but when you find one that has handwritten notes or messages it feels as though the pages come alive. A treasure indeed!
    Missy M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daphne, what a lovely old book and what a coincidence too, as I've recently taken some photos of an old book of mine and was planning on showing it on my blog. I love old books!

    ReplyDelete

  6. I love old books, it is so interesting to find the date and what is written in them by the original owner.
    I have several old books through out my entire house

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful treasure you found! Thanks for visiting me today! And for leaving me that sweet comment!!

    ~Blessings,
    Jan ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daphne,
    What a lovely treasure you have found for yourself.
    Do you just touch the book and wonder whose hands have touched it also? What they thought of the story, and who they passed it onto themselves? Wouldn't it be wonderful if the book could speak?
    Thank you for sharing.
    Have wonderful day
    Becka

    ReplyDelete
  9. How enchanting! I'm fascinated with old books, their smell, their yellowed pages. I enjoyed this very much!

    XO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old books are so interesting. I always thought the ones with two titles seemed like the authors couldn't make up their minds as to the title. Thanks for sharing this one. Hope you have a good week, Babs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Daphne,

    What a wonderful book, the illustrator's work is outstanding. I had to smile at the author of the book "Jesus blessing the children." Dr Crook, a rather unfortunate name don't you think. I love old books, actually I just love the smell of books.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, I don't have a email address to reply to your comment but thanks so much for it.

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely little book you found, A little treasure to be left out on a coffee table or placed on a table beside a chair to browse through while you enjoy your afternoon tea. Thanks Daphne for showing some of the text, written so simply with such lovely illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daphne!!

    What a beautiful treasure!! I see you feel the same way as I do about objects from the past.

    I hold a vintage purse or a compact and I wonder who owned it, maybe danced with it in her hand. I just love items from the past!!

    Thank you for letting us share you treasure!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Daphne,what a wonderful book you have!I love old books!Thank you for sharing!Have a lovely week!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another gem, Daphne. And that's the "wonderful'st" thing I've seen today. :) Obviously, that book couldn't have fallen into more loving hands. I love the illustrations and the words. Thanks for sharing them with us. What a treat! Have a wonderful week.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Daphne! That book is so wonderful. Does the date say 1888? My goodness.

    Your comments regarding those heel shoes was so funny. Ya a foot doesn't get smaller. hahaha LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting book to have two titles. I have not seen this before. Thank you for taking the time to show us this lovely book. It is fun to make discoveries right along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daphne,

    What a treasure you have.
    I love vintage books.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Veredadeiro achado... imaginar quantos mãos passaram esse livro é impressionante!
    gostaria de le-lo...em português é claro! bjsss

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...