Pages

Sunday 28 April 2013

BANOFFEE PIE

Good Morning to you,


Are you in the mood for a touch of sweetness?  

I think I need to re-phrase that.  Are you in the mood for something v-e-r-r-y  s-w-e-e-t? (do you see the emphasis on the "r".)


You are?  Well I have something  for you today which I know will tickle your taste buds.... a Banoffee Pie!


I have not eaten or made a Banoffee pie before,  so this is a first for me, but what I do know, is that this is a very popular dessert on both sides of the Atlantic,

.....and yes, it tastes as fabulous as it looks. So without more ado, here is the recipe.


THE INGREDIENTS



THE BASE AND SIDES

75 g/2 1/2 oz butter
300g/10 1/2 oz chocolate oat biscuits


THE FILLING

115g/4 oz butter
115g/4 oz soft dark brown sugar
397g/14 oz can sweetened condensed milk


THE TOPPING

450ml/16fl oz double cream
5 ripe but firm medium sized bananas
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
25g/ 1 oz coarsely grated plain dark chocolate
or 
chocolate curls


23 cm / 9 inch fluted, deep, loose-based tart tin

THE METHOD











THE BASE AND SIDES

Melt the butter in a small pan.
Break the biscuits into chunky pieces and
pulse in a food processor.

Alternatively, place the biscuits in a strong
polythene food bag and hit with a rolling pin.

Remove the crumbs into a bowl 
and mix in the melted butter


Place the crumbs into the centre of your tart tin. Press the crumbs firmly into the base and also up the sides. Make sure the biscuit base is evenly distributed, especially where the base meets the sides.
Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
or until set.

THE FILLING
















Melt the butter in a medium non-stick pan
stir in the sugar.

As you can see, I did not use a non stick saucepan
as I do not own one.


Cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly until the butter and sugar look smooth and no oil floats on the surface.
(Once my mixture came to a simmer, it took about 10 minutes for the mixture to become smooth)


Open the tin and add the Condensed Milk to the melted butter and sugar.
Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly.
Cook for 3 minutes, (keep stirring, I cannot emphasise this enough as the mixture will burn otherwise) until the mixture turns a deep, creamy, caramel brown.


Remove your base from the fridge.


Gently pour the toffee mixture onto the biscuit base and quickly smooth the surface. 
(I used a palette knife dipped in hot water...this did the trick)
Leave to chill for one hour (up to eight hours)



Slice the bananas diagonally
and toss together with the lemon juice 
(this prevents the bananas turning brown)
Lay the cut bananas over the caramel.

As an alternative, keep back one sliced lemony banana to place into the cream.



Lightly whip the cream until it stands
in soft peaks 
Spoon the cream over the sliced bananas
If you kept back one sliced banana, then
pop the slices into the cream.


Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Alternatively add the chocolate curls.
Chill for 1 hour then remove the fluted tart tin.
(I left the base as this I find  impossible
to remove)


Cut yourself a small piece of pie, do not make the same mistake as George.  While I was making him a cup of coffee and tidying up the kitchen, I forgot to mention how sweet the Banoffee pie was. Remember we had never eaten it before, so George did not realise how sweet this dessert was.  A little too late, I noticed he had cut himself a rather large piece of pie. He had disappeared into his den to watch the football and when I arrived, with his coffee, he had eaten the pie. Whilst he really enjoyed it, afterwards, he complained that his stomach was so full. I asked him why he did not stop eating the pie if he was full, and he said "Well it tasted so nice". Mmm, as Phyllis would say "His eyes were bigger than his belly".

Now I have to tell you, this is not my recipe, this is a recipe from the BBC series The Hairy Bikers Best of British. 

For those of you who do not know who The Hairy Bikers are, they are Dave Myers and Si King. Two fabulous boys from the North of England. The first time I came across the Hairy Bikers was when I lived in Cyprus. We were able to pick up Dubai TV and it was at the time, I think around 2007, when the boys were touring Argentina on their motor bikes. They stopped at various locations and they would talk about the history and culture of the places they visited.  I loved their adventurous spirit and I admired the fact that they travelled around Argentina on motorbikes. If you do not know who the boys are, please take a look at their books or tv programmes, I know you will not be disappointed.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering why the boys are called the Hairy Bikers,



I think the photograph is self explanatory.

This week I shall be joining,



It is time to go as I need to check to see how George is doing.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.









27 comments:

  1. Oh, my....this looks sinfully delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne, Banoffee pie is hugely popular in England, and is often on menus here. I find it too sweet....like your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The double cream and oat biscuits gave you away. lol The recipe looks delicious, but I remember the first time in England seeing 'double cream' in the store and wondering what it was. :-)
    Yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Daphne,

    That pie looks absolutely amazing! I am sure with the condensed milk it is very sweet but are desserts not suppose to be sweet? :)

    I hope poor George is feeling better. I do believe I would have done the same thing as he did....as my eyes tend to be bigger than my stomach and when it comes to pie that looks like that? Well, let's just say I am sure my piece would have been quite large as well.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for recipe, it looks delicious:) Hugs, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG you Banoffee tart looks delish. I am glad I saw you link at sew many ways. I am off you check out the grapefruit marmalade post next.

    Raven J www.truebluebaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm chuckling, Daphne. Hairy Bikers?? Oh my, yes, they are aptly named. And I am always interested in the difference in recipes from one part of the world to another. I've noticed that your recipes use weight, instead of volume, which makes so much more sense to me, because there will always be variations in the way ingredients are measured in a cup, but not on a scale. Also, there are typically one or two ingredients that I don't recognize. For example, this one calls for double cream. I'll have to Google it to see what I can use over here. And I would probably have made the same mistake as your husband...my eyes are almost always bigger than my stomach when it comes to sweets. Too bad for my waistline! This one looks particularly delicious, so who could blame him? I'm going to have to get a tart pan so I can give this one a try. Thanks for sharing it. Have a great day!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very delicious! I have a copy of that book, it has some great recipes in it. Thanks for following my blog, I've come over to visit and will repay the ompliment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely drooling over this one! Then I see the Greek Style Stifado...there's my meal...meat and sweet. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delicious! Thanks for the tutorial along with the recipe. I've never tried one before, but will put it on my list to make.

    Thanks!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daphne,
    The Banoffee pie looks so delightful. I love chocolate, bananas, and toffee. It must taste so yummy. I was just thinking of going to a pie shop with my husband today, but coulnd't find one that was open. I have been craving pie lately. Thank you for sharing.

    Have a blessed week ahead.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no idea what chocolate oat biscuits are or what double cream is--but that looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daphne!!!

    I'm going to try this out for my three guys!!! It looks amazing!!!
    I'll have to give myself extra insulin to have a small piece!!

    Thanks!!!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pie looks wonderful, Daphe! It's so nice to meet you and I thank you for your visit. I love meeting new friends. I'm your newest follower *_*.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda e apetitosa sua torta. Já anotei a receita para fazer no próximo fim de semana. Aqui a família se reúne aos domingo para comer churrasco. E sempre fazemos uma torta. Amo doces, mas tenho que me cuidar estou muito gorda. Mas troco qualquer refeição por uma torta dessas.
    N]ão fique triste já já o calor vai chegar ai, e tu vais sentir saudade do frio. Moramos no sul do Brasil é o único estado que faz frio. Eu amo o frio. Aqui é muito quente no verão temos somente 3 meses de frio.
    Tenha um ótimo início de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this pie looks so delicious! I would love to have a slice right now. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I’m book marking this and look forward to trying your recipe.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so sweet and delicious, Daphne! Yum... ;) ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Daphne,
    I meet the nicest people at Yvonne's and so glad that you stopped by to have tea with me so we can get to know each other.

    Your Banoffee Pie looks heavenly and it would be perfect with my afternoon tea.

    Hope you have a fantastic week and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this pie is making my toes curl! Yes, I am definitely in the mood for something sweet. We have been trying to be good for way too long!

    You could definitely make the Ombre Rose Cake. Follow the link to the tutorial and practice on a piece of wax paper or foil first until you get the feel of piping. That is what they have you do in classes. If you pipe a rose on the cake and hate it, just scrape it off with a knife and do a new one. I did that several times.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daphne, You are a tremendous cook. That looks so yummy! I have never heard of a Banoffee Pie. I am glad my pear blossoms made your day brighter. (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  21. kkkk comeu todo o bolo? , devia estar uma delícia! abraços!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Daphne,

    Eu amo doces. Sou igual formigas. Rs
    Ficou maravilhoso e deve ser gostoso demais.
    Um lindo dia pra você, e um abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So yummy. I will give it a try after the dieting is finished. Everything looks so good right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Daphne'sorry I'm late in reading your recipe for Banoffee pie. knew this would be a MUST copy recipe. I've just written it out in my little note book to take away with me tomorrow visiting my son, this is his favourite. Then I got to the bottom and read it wasn't your recipe but from my favourite cooks the Hairy bikers, and I have already printed this off from their show on TV. I know it's sickly but just a sml slice is lovely with a nice hot cup of tea. Thanks for reminding me haven't made this for ages. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Daphne. I love your blog and this pie looks absolutely delicious, great job! I'm your newest GFC follower!

    Have a Sweet Day!
    Heather
    www.My-Sweet-Mission

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a big fan of the Banoffee Pie, and have been ever since I got my first taste in Scotland many years ago. Your recipe differs greatly from mine, but looks every bit as good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Daphne, this is my middle son's all time favourite dessert and has fast become an English classic since it was invited, not that long ago really at The Hungry Monk restaurant in East Sussex, England. The original recipe uses a digestive biscuit base rather than the oat biscuits that the Hairy Bikers use and now that I'm living in the States I substitute these with Graham Crackers (the nearest thing to a Digestive). You can't get Double Cream in the States either but I use Heavy Cream instead - it's not got as much fat in it as Double Cream but if you whisk it for long enough it does the job - electric whisk highly recommended! I've added this long winded response as I noticed there were quite a few comments asking for American equivalents. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...