Pages

Wednesday 23 October 2013

CHOCOLATE RICE KRISPIES

Good Afternoon to you,


After making the beautiful little Butterfly Cakes on Sunday, it made me think about the other little cakes, which I made, when our daughters were small, and do you know what popped into my mind,



these Chocolate Rice Krispies.  As with the Butterfly cakes, they were such a favourite with our girls,  and I must have made them by the barrel load. They were one of those  treats which were perfect for little girls, but not so much, when they grew up and became teenagers.  I think the last time I made them, must have been....... now let me work this out...... about 25 years ago......my goodness, where did those years go????

So I thought, with Halloween around the corner, it would be fun to reproduce these Chocolate Rice Krispies  again, as I am sure a new generation of children will love them just as much as my daughters did.

But before we start, of course, there is the music to be chosen.  I should imagine you are thinking "Daphne must be running low on music by now", but I have to tell you, I have lots more music to share with you.  I love listening to music, whether it is on the radio, an LP playing or a Cd and I have bought music of one type or another since I was 15 years old.  Along the way, I have discovered new artists which I still enjoy playing and Natasha and Danielle are also a great inspiration when it comes to music, they will share music they think I will like and I have to say, I do the same for them.  That doesn't happen very often as they tend to be "in the know", so on those rare occasions when I can tell them about an artist they have never heard of, it always feels like quite a feather in my cap.

Today, though, the artist is someone you will know very well,


Sammy Davis Jnr.  I love his music and this is a wonderful compilation of Sammy's  1950's music. Don't you just love, "September Song", "Don't Blame Me" and "Let's Face the Music and Dance".

So the music is playing and it's on with the apron before organising my ingredients.


INGREDIENTS

1 x 100g bar of milk chocolate
50g unsalted butter
50g marshmallows
50g Rice Krispies (the breakfast cereal)
A few bits and bobs to decorate
I used,
mini marshmallows and mini chocolate balls


METHOD


12 small  muffin paper cases
or
6 large sized muffin paper cases





Break the chocolate into pieces
and place in a heatproof bowl
over a pan of simmering water


When the chocolate has melted,
remove the saucepan from the heat.

With the bowl still over the pan of hot water,
add the butter and stir until melted
(be careful when stirring, remember
there is boiling hot water 
underneath
 the bowl)


Add the marshmallows
 to the melted chocolate 
and 
stir until the marshmallows have melted.


Place the Rice Krispies into a bowl,
and
add the melted chocolate
 and
melted marshmallows
 and
 stir


until the Rice Krispies 
are coated  with 
chocolate


Have your decorations on hand
to add to your Chocolate Rice Krispies 


You can make petite Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats

or



large Rice Krispie Treats

with Marshmallows

or


without, 
whichever tickles your fancy.

I remember, the first time I made these treats I used Kellog's Cornflakes.  I literally, just melted the chocolate and stirred in  the Kellog's Cornflakes and Natasha loved them.  Then the girls discovered the "Snap, Crackle and Pop" of  Rice Krispies and so it was Rice Krispie treats  and not Cornflake treats from then on.

This has been fun, I have really enjoyed recreating a couple of our girls childhood cakes, but it is time to move on to bigger things.  I have more or less gathered together my Christmas cake ingredients, so I will be making our Christmas cake this week.  I cannot wait to have our home filled with the essence of Christmas.  I know it is a little early to talk about Christmas, but Christmas cakes are usually made in October because they need time to mature, ready for Christmas time.  

I do have a slight problem, however,  and that is, keeping a certain "you know who" away from the cake.  I think when I have made it, I might have to pop the Christmas cake down to Sadie's, to cool. You know the saying "out of sight, out of mind".

Take care and I will see you on Sunday.

This week I will be joining,






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...