Pages

Wednesday 2 April 2014

SPANISH EGGS

Good Morning to you,


After all the excitement from the Woman's Weekly Magazine article and finishing my Hostess Apron for the Hillarys Blinds Country Craft Competition..... I have finally come back down to earth.... well maybe not fully.... I am still so happy and to be honest I am still flying quite high..... I have to tell you it is the most wonderful feeling.

Just as well, because the weather here has been dreadful.  Yes, I am English and yes, I do talk about the weather.  I spoke to Phyllis on Saturday and she said the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day in the South of England. Here in the North the skies are grey and the mist is relentless...... it really is time that we had some colour in our lives.

So today, I thought I would make a colourful dish to brighten the day,


a bowl of colourful Spanish Eggs. This dish is  filled with so many colours, red, yellow and green peppers, red tomatoes, orange carrots and bright green spinach. Oh yes, and not to forget the yellow eggs. Yes this is doing the trick..... the colours are lovely.

..... and then I thought about the music, what would make me think of warm sunny summer days.  There is only one album which fits the bill,


the surfing, beach sounds of the Beach Boys.  The album  I have shared with you is my 1965 33 1/3 RMP  Beach Boys Album.... can you believe, this album is 49 years old.

Where were you, when you first heard the sounds of The Beach Boys?  Was their music playing on a Juke Box? I first heard the Beach Boys singing when we visited my Aunt Margaret and her family. My cousin Lin, who is a couple of years older than me, played their single... and I loved it.  For me, The Beach Boys encapsulate summer days and so with "Do You Wanna Dance" playing, I really don't mind that the day is grey, as it feels really sunny in my kitchen.

So, it is on with the pinnie, and yes I am really singing along to "Do You Wanna Dance"..... I know all the words.....do you?

INGREDIENTS

4 medium sized potatoes
1 red onion
3 peppers
(they can be all one colour or mixed)
1 tin of tomatoes 
2 medium sized carrots
125g spinach
100g Spanish Chorizo
100g bread
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoonful of chilli flakes
4 eggs
4 tablespoonfuls of olive oil
1 cup of water
salt flakes

Oven temperature: 180C
Serves 4

HOW TO MAKE
SPANISH EGGS


Cut the bread into cubes.
Drizzle with olive oil
and bake in a 180C oven until golden brown.

Set aside.


Slice the onions
and add 1 tablespoonful of olive oil to a pan
and cook the onions until translucent.


Add the grated garlic to the onions
and cook for 1 minute.
Remove from the pan and
set aside.


Peel and chop the potatoes into cubes
and using the same pan as you used
to cook the onions,
place  another tablespoonful of olive oil
into the pan and


add 1 teaspoonful of chilli.
Cook for a couple of minutes.
then add the cubed potatoes and
 fry the potatoes until they are 
golden brown.
You might need to add a little more olive oil.


Peel and finely slice the carrots.
Add a cup of water to a pan and add the sliced carrots.
Place a lid on the pan
and cook the carrots until al dente.


Add the spinach to the carrots.
Replace the lid
and cook until the spinach has wilted.
Drain the water and set aside when cooked.


Wash and slice the peppers.

Place 1 tablespoonful of olive oil
in a pan and cook until the peppers
are slightly brown and  cooked through.

Now it is time to put the ingredients together.

Add


1 teaspoonful of salt flakes
to the


browned potatoes
and place in a wide pan.

Add
the cooked onions
and  toss together.

Add
the cooked carrots and spinach
and toss together.

Add
the cooked sliced peppers
and toss together.


Add the tinned tomatoes

and


Spanish Chorizo
and 
finally
add the 



browned, cubed bread.

Place the pan on the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
Occasionally tossing the mixture.
At this point
check the seasoning.


Meanwhile crack 4 eggs 
(1 at a time) in to a cup.



Divide the vegetables and Chorizo mixture 
between 2 oiled, heatproof dishes.

Make two wells in each bowl
and pour the cracked eggs into the wells.

Place in a 180C oven and cook
for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.


When cooked,
remove from the oven 
and
allow the dish to cool a little,
 as you do 
not want to eat Spanish Eggs piping hot.

There is no need for bread.

This dish is just so delicious,
there is nothing else needed..... well
maybe a nice glass of red wine would be nice.

I love Spanish eggs and I love dunking a crouton into the runny egg, just as much as I love dunking "soldiers" into a boiled egg.

Now if you prefer, add 4 fresh tomatoes instead of the tinned tomatoes.  I usually use fresh tomatoes, but there was not a tomato in sight...... my store cupboard of tomatoes was bare. So I turned to my standby of tinned tomatoes which work well.

Also depending what is in season, I will add courgettes, aubergines or mushrooms.  This time I added carrots and spinach because I had these in my store cupboard.

Before I go, I wanted to say, thank you so much for all your wonderful comments.  You really made my heart swell with pride. I am slowly catching up with my comments and then I will be out and about visiting you.

Take care and I will see you on Sunday.

This week I will be joining,

and




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...