Pages

Monday 7 November 2016

MY CREATIVE PLEASURES

Good Morning to you,


I do hate being ill.  

I find when I am lying in bed, I am thinking of all the things I need to do.  I really want to be up and about, doing.... but of course, when your coughing and spluttering and on top of that, you can't decide, whether your hot or cold, there really is, no better place to be, than tucked up in bed.

....also, I received stern words from George last week, after he caught me writing to you. He told me I had to stay in bed until I felt better and that he was keeping an eye on me to make sure I did.

So stay in bed I did.... and now I feel a whole lot better, not 100%, but much, much better.

.... and because I was unwell last week, there are no recipes to share with you today.

So instead, I thought I would show you my creative pleasures.


These little squares are going to be hand sewn together to make a lovely quilt for my friend.


It is a simple 4 patch block, but I love the mix of colours.  I think I am going to add white sashing to the completed squares, but I'll make that decision when I have sewn all the 4 patch blocks.



This bright Christmas project is one I am taking to my sewing group.

I have to say, it took me quite a while before I could reach for my needle and thread, because first  I had to cut out my 2 cardboard hexagon templates. I then cut out the papers using the smaller cardboard template and then I had to cut out the material hexagons using the larger template.... this all took quite some time.  

My friend Avril, is the person who inspired me to make this quilt as she is making a flower garden quilt in different shades of blue and I have to tell you it is stunning.... she is a real talent where patchwork is concerned. 


As you can see the pencil slipped on a number of occasions, I think I need to find my rubber, to tidy up those pencil marks. I'm not sure how many hexagons I will need, because my work tends to be organic.  I start with a germ of an idea and the idea grows as my work progresses, so I might need 500 hexagons or I might need 750 hexagons. I think I need to ask the family to start saving all their white envelopes, because I think I am going to need their help.


However many I need, I have to say, I am really enjoying this project.  I cut the material and paper hexagons at home, but I keep the hand sewing to do at my sewing group.  It is such an easily transportable piece of sewing.... hardly any weight at all.

I won't have the quilt finished for this Christmas, but it will be ready for next Christmas.  I have already made a Christmas quilt for Natasha, so this one will be for Danielle.... I just know, she will love it, as much as I am loving, sewing the pieces together.


.... and I just had to show you how my crochet was getting along.  This is a simple medallion pattern, which is fun to do. I chose this because I have to re-learn how to read a crochet pattern, as I haven't read one for years.  The trouble is, I am a visual learner and the book I am using, has a crochet diagram, so my eyes keep straying over to the diagram, instead of the crochet instructions. I think I need to cover the diagram, to help me learn all the crochet abbreviations. I think this could take some time.

Just before I leave you, I wanted to say, because I was poorly, I was unable to answer the comments which you so kindly wrote, but I promise I will be catching up with you during the week.

Take care and I will see you again on Thursday.

As Always,









No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...