Pages

Wednesday 14 August 2013

BANOFFEE CHEESECAKE

Good Morning to you,


I   love   magazines,   I  have   magazines   from  Cyprus,  America, Canada,  India, Australia and England. I can keep a magazine for many a year, then pick it up and enjoy reading it again as if it were the first time..... is that my age,  mmm I wonder?



I was flicking through an old Good Housekeeping magazine and I came across the recipe, which I am going to make today, how could I have missed it first time round.  Well I am certainly going to remedy that situation because take a look, 




doesn't it look scrummy.




So without further ado, it  is  on with  the apron and the music I am playing today, is music I have loved since the first time I heard this lady   sing  on   the radio  in 1975...  Joni Mitchell.  Do you know, I could not choose one song which I love more than  another,  I  love the  whole  album.... yes, I  even  have  the  vinyl  record,   which I cannot bear to part with. I played this album so often when Natasha and Danielle were little girls that they grew up listening to Joni and they both love her music as well.

INGREDIENTS

THE BASE



100g (3 1/2 oz) butter
plus a little more to butter the baking dish
200g (7 oz) digestive biscuits


Butter and line the base of a 9" round spring form tin with
 baking parchment


Finely crush the biscuits in a food processor


Slowly melt the butter in a saucepan


Mix together the butter and crushed biscuits


Place the biscuit mixture into the base of the baking tin
 and press firmly.
 Bake in an 180 C (160 C fan) Gas Mark 4 oven for 15 minutes
set aside until needed

Turn the temperature of the oven down to
170C (150 C fan) Gas Mark 3

INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING


2 small very ripe bananas, about 150g (5 oz) peeled
500g (1 lb 2 oz) full fat cream cheese
200g (7 oz) caster sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 medium eggs


Place the cream cheese, bananas
and sugar into a food processor
and blitz until smooth.


Add the Vanilla Essence and the yolk of the two eggs
and blitz again until smooth


Add the flour and blitz again until smooth



Place the banana mixture in a large bowl 
and set aside for a moment


Place the 2 egg whites into a large bowl
and whisk until the egg whites form soft peaks,
then


fold the egg whites into the banana mixture
using a large metal spoon


Pour the mixture onto the biscuit base and 
shake gently to level.

Bake for 50 minutes or until the cheesecake is lightly
golden, the filling will be wobbly, but firms up on chilling.

Leave to cool for 15 minutes then run a knife, dipped
into hot water, and dried, around the side of  the cheesecake
to release it from the tin.

Leaving the Banoffee Cheesecake in the tin, 
chill for at least 2 hours or overnight


THE TOPPING


3 tablespoons of caramel sauce
25g (1 oz) plain chocolate grated


Heat the caramel sauce gently in a saucepan,
then when warmed, the caramel will pour
beautifully over the Banoffee cheesecake.

Using a spoon, dip into the warmed caramel sauce
and allow the caramel to drizzle  from the spoon
onto the cheesecake.
The final flourish is 
grated chocolate


In the directions that Good Housekeeping suggested, they said, when the cheesecake was baked and taken out of the oven, "working quickly, remove the cheesecake from the oven and run a small knife around the side of the cheesecake to release it (this should help minimise cracking). Leave to cool for 30 minutes then chill for at least 2 hours or overnight".

I am sorry, I did not have the courage to release the cheesecake from the tin straight after baking, so I waited 15 minutes. As you can see this worked fine.


This Banoffee cheesecake tastes as lovely as it looks.  I have never baked the base of a cheesecake before, but do you know, this is going to be the only way I am making the base from now on, it was a triumph. Baking the base gave it a much lighter texture.

The added bonus is this cheesecake can be frozen after it has been baked.  Leave it to cool whilst still in it's tin, then wrap with clingfilm and freeze for up to a month.  To serve, allow the cheesecake to defrost completely in the fridge, then unwrap and add the caramel and chocolate topping.

So thank you to Good Housekeeping as they have changed my way of making cheesecake bases and I know the same will apply to you once you have baked this Banoffee Cheesecake.  I have to say they are my favourite magazine.

My resident taster, George, was very happy indeed with this Banoffee Cheesecake and he said, if this is what I find in my old magazines, he will never throw another one away again.... do you know, I didn't know he threw any away, I must admit I never missed any of them. When I quizzed him he admitted that if I leave a magazine lying around for a while, he throws it away, he said it is a form of culling, as he knows how hard it is for me to part with magazines..... well I never..... he knows me so well.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.


16 comments:

  1. Hi, Daphne !!!!!
    Your cheese cake looks delicious and I am sure
    it tastes delicious,too !!!!!I read the recipe
    very carefully-I love the ingredients and I
    think it is comparatively easy !!
    Thank you for sharing it with us !!!!!!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daphne
    I havent been around for awhile, but I'm back into blogging again. You always make baking sound a great fun thing to do. Nice to know that this delicious recipe can be frozen, if not I'd get back into my old habit of eating it all. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love my magazines also
    there is so much inspirations in them
    I did however take a trunk load to a local hospital
    waiting room and a nursing home
    I gave several away at my last yard sale and offer one to everyone who comes to my house LOL

    I have my stash of favorites and will never part with them babies LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Daphne,
    Guess one could adapt the recipe for replacing the egg yolks with cholesterol free substitute and also finding a replacement for the full fat cream cheese and using whole wheat flour. Looks really delicious and you are right; I would NOT have had the nerve for releasing this cake right away. Yours turned out magazine worthy.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uauuu!
    parece delíciosa!
    bjsss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That looks delicious and I think I might have to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Daphne, I can understand your love for old magazines! I used to work on the iternational press distribution in Greece and I also have lots of magazines which I often re-read with pleasure. This banoffee cheesecake looks delicious and easy to make and I will follow their/your advice to bake the base first.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daphne! I miss you. Where the heck you been? This dessert looooook so yum! And ...Joni Mitchell. I stole, well strongly borrowed a roommates album of Mitchell's in 1974; the one with I'm Falling ...in love with you! on it. I swear I memorized that entire album back then. I probably sing every song on it if I hear it on my player now. Thanks for the stir of my past that needs to be my present now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks awesome. I have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Daphne - this is gorgeous to LOOK at even - can just imagine what it tastes like - PINNING for sure!
      And I adore Joni Mitchell - always have as well - she's an amazing artist!!!
      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Looks wonderful! It's funny that your husband throws away some of your magazines...I do the same to my husband. He refuses to get rid of his older fishing magazines...so I help him...especially (when he's not here).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Daphne,i have a lot of old magazines!!!
    Wow!!!This banoffee cheesecake looks so delicious!!!
    I love all kinds of cheesecake!!But this recipe is amazing!!!
    Thank you for sharing!!!
    Have a lovely afternoon!!!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be stil lmy heart, what an awesome looking cheesecake and that is one of my weaknesses too. YOU sure do know how to start the ole tastebuds churning.

    I too have old magazines and at my age too... its like reading them for the first time as well.


    I sent you an email.
    GOD bless and keep you all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daphne~ I have magazines and recipe booklets that date back to the early 80's:) I read and re-read them! My favorite dessert is Cheesecake and this Cheesecake could definitely become a favorite:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  14. Banoffee Cheesecake?!! Oh, my, I am going to have to try this. I love the pie version, and I love cheesecake, so I'm sure this will be marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Daphne,
    Your Banoffee Cheesecake is just beautiful, we would really enjoy this cheesecake. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...